"Conscious Co-Operative Capitalism"

I present a counter question:
Why, out of a dozen solutions to any given problem, do you often present legislation as the only option?

Legislation is essentially forcing people to do something on pain of punishment by the government.
I would present the opposite argument - that if we stopped passing legislation that forced people to buy globally, communities would develop their own food sources locally. Centralized food production and distribution is a very outdated 19th-20th century model and will not be sufficient for the worlds growing population - as we saw in COVID when the Global supply chain started to suffer the slightest strain. It also provides an inferior (but cheap) product.

Why do I mention legislation?
I don’t think the world is lacking “great ideas” since the vast majority of great ideas I see flow across this integral forum are already alive in the world and practiced by 100M’s or B’s of people, to varying degrees.
If anything the world is lacking implementation of these great ideas. If you can’t/won’t/unable to convince say 49% of the population, then just pass legislation and tell them what their behaviors should be. Not sure how integral it is, but “those people” can’t seem to understand so pass legislation while you can.

This is a great fear many people have on both sides - that 30% can trick another 21% into passing legislation that directly threatens the 30% at the opposite end (with 19% probably “undecided” or “don’t care”).
I recognize that there are many people (let’s say the left 30%) who believe this should be done “tit for tat”, because that is what they believe was done in the previous 4 years, but I also recognize that there is a great deal of fear and paranoia by the opposite right 30% that this will be done because it’s exactly what they tried to do and would do again if given the opportunity.

It’s my opinion that those who are able to understand Integral Theory and are attempting to implement it in their lives do not follow this fear-based model and are looking for solutions rather than just reacting to fear impulses.

1 Like

There is a lot of “fear”, but we might want to also assume that people are in fact voting for what they think “best”?
Great thing about the US with our representative democracy is by design it adapts to what the citizens want. If we don’t get it quite spot on, we have another election. And given our economic engine, diverse social network, security/safety, health we can withstand 4 or 8 “bad” years. And we can modify course with the White House and/or Senate and/or House. The adaptive nature, at least to me, is truly a culmination of everything humankind has “gotten right” throughout history.
So yes, there is certainly “fear” in lots of decision making, but there is also significant wisdom in a woman’s “no, let’s pump the breaks on that idea” or a man’s “we need this change”.
Just look at the amazing changes we’ve made in the last 10 years, 20 years, 50 years. It’s shocking the rate at which the US keeps getting better and better.
I think great news right now is a sea change in awareness level in the “trickery” that goes on with our politicians and media (Amygdala Hijack). We see viewership spike or plunge, we see new news networks deploying, new social media networks, and GAFA executives testifying to Congress and their European counterparts.
It’s all a big messy hairball of an adaptive system with loads of fear, amazing wisdom, and enormous good will at work.

1 Like