Book Club-What'cha Reading?

I just bought George Valiant’s-Spiritual Evolution. I am really fascinated with this idea of cultural evolution and spirituality. Hope it is fun. What is everyone else into right now?

1 Like

I am reading The Human cycle from Sri Aurobindo.
Really fascinating description of human cultural and spiritual evolution.

1 Like

Husband and I have a little book club for two going each night after we eat. I read, he listens and then we have a follow-up discussion which is often lively and unpredictable. We just finished “What the Eyes Don’t See” by Mona Hanna Attisha MD, a first person account of breaking down bureaucratic barriers and exposing that there was lead in the drinking water in Flint, MI. It is a provocative and humbling account of how a young female pediatrician, who is also from an Iraqi immigrant family, found the courage to take on the county health care system & local government, and force them to openly disclose the danger of toxic levels of lead in the tap water, and then formulate a plan to do something about it. Stunning accomplishment!

Right now we are well into “Educated”. a mesmerizing memoir by Tara Westover, who was raised without any formal schooling in a fanatic fundamentalist family in Idaho. She was beaten and abused as a teenager by a deranged brother, worked days breaking down old cars in her father’s junkyards, and helping her mother with a natural healing practice that included making herbal tinctures and serving as a local midwife. She finally managed to get away from her toxic family, graduated from BYU and was encouraged to apply to Cambridge in the UK where she studied for her PhD in history. Incredible strength, resilience and courage!

These are both surprisingly spiritual books – deep, real, and wildly feminine.

1 Like

Very cool. I never knew that specific part of the Flint story.

Just finished “I Loved You More” by Tom Spanbauer. What a tour de force of masterful writing. For me, this was a demonstration of witnessing “what is” and in so doing forgiving and finding healing and acceptance. But what blew me away was how Spanbauer managed to stitch together a story spanning decades. Ben, the narrator in the story, was looking back from the perspective of an older man. But when he relates scenes from the 80’s, he switches to first person and puts you right in the scene. Somehow he makes it all work. Just the technical skill in this writing is something to behold.

1 Like

Being retired and widowed and in active spiritual development as a Lutheran Franciscan, 8 - 12 hours a day of mine are spent reading.
So, currently…

1. Sex, Ecology, Spirituality by Ken Wilber.(I purchased 8 of Ken’s books after reading A Brief History of Everything, and am using what I learn to build a more Integral spiritual life. So this is my current spiritual development book for my Order).
  2. The Fifth Season by N.K.Jemisin.(My current “recreational” read).
  3. The Christian Century magazine. (Protestant perspective).
  4. Commonweal magazine. (Catholic perspective).
  5. Wired magazine. (Interesting perspective).
  6. The Amazing Spider-man comic . (Yes, I am 59 years old, but some habits never die).
1 Like

Are you current on Spider-Man or old issues?

Grace and peace to you!
I am currently on issue 18.HU of the current Amazing Spider-Man. I started on a “whim” when I saw all the comics available at my local library, so I checked out what I could. But I am thinking of “haunting” some stores looking for the older issues.

1 Like

I love comics. I actually just started this incredible graphic novel:

Nice. Always looking for new graphic novels. I just put in a hold request from my library. I’m slowly getting through the Planetary omnibus right now.

Planetary was fantastic.

I highly recommend Logicomix, which tells Bertrand Russell’s story via graphic novel. Pretty cool to see Whitehead and Wittgenstein in comic format :wink:

Other favorites (some obvious ones):

• Sandman by Neil Gaiman
  • Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
  • Promethea by Alan Moore
  • The Invisibles by Grant Morrison
  • Y the Last Man by Brian Vaughan

I also really enjoyed the recent Darth Vader series :slight_smile:

1 Like