George Carlin's "sympathetic contempt"

Classic Carlin:
“I’m happy to tell you there is very little in this world that I believe in.
Frankly I don’t care how it all turns out. I think the human game was up a long time ago.
My interest in “issues” is merely to point out how badly we’re doing, not to suggest a way we might do better.
Don’t confuse me with those who cling to hope.
I enjoy describing how things are, I have no interest how they “ought to be.”
And I certainly have no interest in fixing them.
The decay and disintegration of culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it.
I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don’t belong; it doesn’t include me, it never has.
No matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group: planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it.
I love and treasure individuals as I meet them,
I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
I am a joyful individual and a personal optimist, but a skeptic about all else.
What may sound to some like anger is really nothing more than sympathetic contempt.
I view my species with a combination of wonder and pity, and I root for its destruction.
Please don’t confuse my point of view with cynicism; the real cynics are the ones who tell you everything’s gonna be all right.
And I have as much authority as the Pope or the President or a King — there just aren’t as many people who believe it.”

('Course George owes his celebrity to our collective human frailties … where would he be otherwise?)

2 Likes

Hi Sida,

I always took the 80/20 percent rule to mean 20 percent of a population causes 80 of major problems. I like the Pareto principle as well because it is neutral to positive at least.