How to Manage Passive Aggression

“In short, I start to remember how I have been pinching myself. I see how I have literally been attacking myself. That understanding felt through-and-through releases energy from the war of muscles, energy which I can then direct outward toward the environment instead of inward on myself. Instead of squeezing and attacking myself, I can ‘attack’ a job, a book, a good meal, and thus learn afresh the correct meaning of the word aggression: ‘to move toward.’” —Ken Wilber, No Boundary

Watch as Dr. Keith and Corey explore the many ways passive aggression, anger, and codependence create more separation between people and degrade our capacity for love, while assertive processing of anger creates more intimacy and safety. Learning how to take a pause before aggressive or passive-aggressive action gives the opportunity to cross-validate through all four quadrants, and to take our overall kosmic address into account.

The Happy Yes
by Dr. Keith Witt

One great principle of happy relationships is to say “Yes” as much as possible. Couples who do this are happier, healthier, and have better sex lives. “Yes, I’ll remember to wipe the sink.” “Yes, I won’t grab your behind while you’re cooking dinner.” “Yes, when I’m mad at our son I’ll do my best to use a kind and patient tone.” “Yes, I’ll help you move the couch.” You get the idea.

But there is a big caveat on “Yes.” If you’re going to say, “Yes,” make it a happy yes!

Why? Because an unhappy or resentful “Yes” is as bad as “No!”

A request is an opportunity for intimacy. A glad “Yes” with mutual love and gratitude generates satisfying love. That’s why it’s so good to say “Yes,” as much as possible to your partner’s explicit and implicit requests, and so good to express gratitude for everything your partner does to support you and take care of themselves.

On the other hand, sometimes we have to say “No.” If something feels wrong or will leave you resentful, it’s probably not going to help your relationship to ignore your intuition and begrudgingly comply. Not trusting inner wisdom and going along with what feels wrong in your heart leads to neglect, codependence, and disconnection.

If it feels wrong to say “Yes” say “No” as kindly and respectfully as possible. This keeps you emotionally engaged and opens you to potentially productive dialogue (which enhances intimacy) if your partner disagrees.

Everyone has heard and said a begrudging “Yes.” Your wife asks you to do the dishes right after the football game ends, and you roll your eyes and say with no humor, “All right! I’ll do them!” Now she’s irritated with you and you’re down on her for interrupting.

As your husband is leaving for work, he asks you to call the insurance company because they double billed your account. You feel a flash of anger at him (and the insurance company who are a nightmare to deal with) and snap back, “Of course I’ll call them. I do all the dirty work around here!” Now, all day, when one of you thinks of the other, a negative story of him or her being a pain is likely to show up. This moment of begrudging “Yes” has created a whole day of hostility.

It is so better to feel that flash of irritation, take a deep silent breath, and tell yourself, “If I say yes, it needs to be a glad yes. I love this person and want him/her to feel loved by me.” Then you might:
Smile and tell your wife, “Sure I’ll do the dishes. Why don’t you have a glass of wine and talk with me while I work.”

Smile and tell your husband, “Yes, I’ll call them, but I’ll only wait one hour on hold.” He laughs and sympathizes and thanks you profusely for taking the trouble.

Because we’re almost all of us good people and like to say yes to people we love, we usually say “Yes,” but often with a little attitude—a critical dig, or a mild complaint. These passive aggressive responses completely wreck your “Yes.”

If you’re going say “Yes,” say it gladly and generously, creating a shared moment of loving connection. The more such moments you and your partner create, the happier and healthier you both will be.

What?
It’s sometimes irritating to be asked to take care of a problem—most requests are to help solve a problem. Irritation is a natural human reaction to being interrupted and pressured to do something important for someone else. That irritation, that mild anger, is a crossroads. Indulge the anger by believing a critical story of the other and you disconnect from the other while subtly communicating disapproval. Your partner feels disapproved of whether you say “Yes,” or “No,” and this can trigger them to cultivate a negative story about you. Regulate the anger into empathy and generosity and you can create an intimate moment, even if you say “No!”

This is hard!

Why is regulating irritation to compassionate understanding so difficult? Because anger blocks love. Anger disconnects us from the irritating other and prepares us for fight or flight. Compassion and generosity prime us for intimacy.

Anger blocks love

In both interpersonal relationships (with others) and intrapersonal relationships (with the different parts of ourselves) anger immediately reduces empathy and self-reflection. Anger means threat, and we’re genetically programmed to take threats seriously. With a threatening person, the first instinctual line of defense is to stop empathizing with someone who’s a danger to us.

Over the last million plus years, the biggest threats to people have been other people, and so we’ve evolved social reflexes to deal with menacing others. After we psychologically separate, these reflexes include pushing back, withdrawing, complying, counterattacking actively, counterattacking passively, and seeking allies.

The best response is seeking compassionate understanding of ourselves and the other
If we can feel the anger, tolerate it while resisting the angry story that arises with it, and reach for compassionate understanding, we can often turn the irritating moment into deeper intimacy and self-knowledge.

Staying present, attuned, and holding a caring container when irritated helps us open channels to give and receive love. Love heals.

But what about getting angry at myself?

Intrapersonally, we all have inner critics who criticize and attack us when our unconscious decides we’ve violated a moral value. These inner critics were programmed as we grew to try to help us be virtuous. When we look more deeply into them, we discover that each one has a hostile mask over a child trying to help us survive and thrive, and longing to be loved and relieved of the burden of trying to keep us on the straight and narrow.

That child at the heart of the inner critic resents the thankless task of helping by attacking, and anger blocks receiving love. These inner parts (inner children) want to receive love but resist receiving love because they are pissed off! This is frustrating for an inner child, who blames us and others for not feeling loved.

By tolerating anger and reaching for compassionate understanding of our inner critics, we can create present, attuned, caring containers that eventually help our inner children receive love, and thus help the inner critic evolve from an opponent into an ally. Even if we agree with the critique and decide to change, the “Yes” becomes a happy yes to ourselves rather than a resentful one.

Happy yes
All the above is why “Yes” to a request (from another or from ourselves) is not enough — we need to do the work so that each “Yes” is a happy yes, one we believe serves the highest good.

1 Like

I’d say a resentful “yes” is 100 times worse than an honest “no”.
The most extreme example (but we encounter it everyday) is in sexual or intimate relations.
In my most intimate circles I would not want to include anyone who cannot say “no”, and feels obligated to give a reluctant yes. It’s the same thing with anger for me. Show me the anger.
I’ve heard a distinction some make between anger and “clean anger” (not on here). I believe what they mean is that for them some causes should make us angry and the task they set for themselves is to express that anger in a “healthy way” rather than in a destructive way.
Within myself, I see anger as a camouflage for fear or sadness. Usually sadness. So when I feel anger in myself I don’t set the task for myself to express the anger, but to find what fear or sadness my anger is masking.
It’s usually necessary for me to do this as a private / solo practice. Our society doesn’t appreciate the value of sadness and usually wants to in some way rescue someone expressing sadness. Or judge it as “low energy” or similar unflattering language. Something to “fix”.
I think it’s more than tolerating anger (or sadness) - it’s embracing it when it is found, especially in oneself but also in others. In society.
Of course, the deeper and longer period of time that the “negative” emotions were suppressed, the more violent and chaotic the release will be - so buckle up. I think as a collective society we’re still only scratching the surface, tbh.

@raybennett No Ray. NO.

You should try living in Seattle. It’s the most passive aggressive place I’ve ever lived. There are many great things about this city which is why I’ve spent 16+ years here and have returned 3 times. I’m pretty direct and not afraid to speak up or confront someone when I feel it necessary and I’ve been called aggressive and a few things I won’t repeat here. lol. Add in the “wokeness” and it can be a little frustrating sometimes. I guess it’s a good opportunity for me to practice tolerance. :wink:

I find myself feeling sad for people I meet that are always this way because I think it’s bad for their health in many ways to be passive aggressive all the time. It’s like holding on to an energy that eats away at you from the inside.

I like to proactively, with joy, do what I think others expect or even like (yes, sometimes it’s aspirational). Even if there is no acknowledgement, over time it creates beauty in relationship and lovely energy.

I’m always curious why people live in a place if it so obviously disagrees with them.
Seattle never appealed to me as a place to live. Geography and weather are my primary reservations and maybe that attracts people who …? I guess fill in the blank. IDK, lol. I’d never live in the Pacific Northwest Coast.

Agree completely. Culture matters, just as does weather. It could be that the weather is driving everyone a little insane?

I definitely think we have all sorts of geographical typologies that directly and indirectly influence our thinking and behaviors :slight_smile:

In my own experience, growing up in Massachusetts, there wasn’t much of a culture of passive aggression. No, we are “massholes” who prefer to use active aggression, scathing sarcasm, and humorous deflection :slight_smile: But then when I moved to Oregon, I found a much different cultural flavor, and then again when I moved to Oregon. I think it comes from a number of environmental factors that shape our culture and consciousness, from population density to regional history to the physical geography, climate, and types/prevalence of local flora/fauna.

From my experience, passive aggression seems to increase as we move from east coast to west coast, but I have little experience of the American southeast. The Midwest can be very passive aggressive as well, but it’s usually cloaked in cloying kindness, rather than the smug condescension of west coast liberals (I always think of the South Park episode in San Francisco where they literally enjoy smelling their own farts).

Overall, I like Colorado the best. Up high and in the middle. All sorts of different weirdos in this state. And the road going north from Colorado Springs to Denver to Boulder is pretty much an altitude map :slight_smile:

@raybennett @FermentedAgave Hey guys, you’re very smart and have a lot of good things to offer but you’re really acting like trolls here! Your statements about my criticism of a particular aspect of Seattle culture are narrow minded and down right offensive. Maybe you need to start a new feed and call it the @raybennett & @FermentedAgave show!! I’m not the only one to notice this. I’m not going to defend myself nor waste my time listing the many beautiful things that the Northwest has to offer and I’ve lived in some damn beautiful places!

I’m willing to bet that neither one of you would act in person, face to face, the way you do on this feed!!!

Best regards,

Brian

1 Like

Seems you’re fitting right in to Seattle. :slight_smile:

I talk to men in this same way face to face every week. Also on zoom every other week. I can invite you to a zoom meeting where people talk directly to each other in a straightforward manner and cut through the bs. If it isn’t for you, that’s fine - if it sparks your curiosity I can give you more information.

One difference is that in text it isn’t possible to get tone or expressions. So in this medium just understand that anything you might imagine about my tone or expression or demeanor is just what you are imagining.

I have nothing against Seattle - I choose not to live there 90% because of the weather.
You have something against Seattle and live there.
You posted in a thread about Managing Passive Aggression and about Seattle being the most passive aggressive place you ever lived.
Then when I wonder why you live there if you don’t like it. I also wonder why people live in places they don’t like.
When people rag on Hawaii I realize just the obvious that it’s not a good fit for them. If people continue to live here and constantly complain about things - I start to wonder about them.
It was the same when I lived abroad. Expats didn’t like the culture but stayed and the longer this went on the more I wondered about them.

I’m not really concerned about the name calling (troll). I realize that I struck a sore spot with you and you are redirecting emotion and judgements on me so that you don’t have to deal with those issues themselves. It’s somehow now my fault.

So you don’t like the passive aggressive nature of wokism but you also don’t want others to ask you a very obvious and direct question and you get bent out of shape when asked about it.

Hey Ray, I definitely don’t think any offense was intended here, but I’m thinking maybe this was where the disconnect may have occurred. I think we all probably have some complaints or frustrations about wherever we happen to live, but that doesn’t mean we “don’t like it”. I definitely have some big criticisms about Colorado as a state and Boulder County in particular, and yet there is nowhere else I would rather be.

Taken to an extreme, this could be like telling a first generation immigrant that they are not allowed to criticize the U.S. whatsoever, and if there is anything they don’t like they should go back to their home country :slight_smile:

Perhaps a more interesting discussion would be about @Brian_Downey’s “insider’s view” into Northwestern culture, and why there may be a particularly passive-aggressive cohort of people who are attracted to that region. An opportunity to better understand the overall kosmic address of the nation, as seen through the kosmic addresses of each of us individually!

I know I am also particularly interested in your personal and cultural experience living in Hawaii, which must be absolutely fascinating. I’ve never been, but would love to visit.

Anyway, just wanted to try to iron out the wrinkles in this thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I had the blessing / curse of being raised in a military family and moving has always been an option for me. Then I was an expat for about 12 years. Then also in many ways Hawaii is not actually part of the rest of the United States (literally geographically, for example) . In both the military and expat community and to a lesser degree the white community here in Hawaii - one of the most common topics is complaining about where they live and how good it is somewhere else.

It’s likely that I jump the gun when I hear people complain about a place they live and I assign them the qualities of people I’ve seen experiencing culture shock over the years.

1 Like

I used to live in Massachusetts for a few years, and I love the Boston accent. Can you do one Corey? It would be great if you did one of your conversations for Integral with a thick Boston accent sometime.

There are some tutorials of different accents, including the Boston accent, on Youtube which seemed pretty good for anyone interested. One of my favorite things to say in a Boston accent is “Park your car in Yarmouth harbour, you fuskertut!”. I highly recommend anyone going to Mass say that in their best Boston accent to as many people as possible.

Good luck my fellow fuskertuts!

Linking the subject of passive aggression and Hawaii, there’s an interesting phenomenon when we include Asian cultures and communication techniques and conflict avoidance. I’m thinking specifically of Japanese and Korean.
Passive Aggression is often projected onto Asians by westerners when they may actually be just trying to re-frame. Of course, sometimes it is passive aggression and Asians are not immune to it by any means - but its usually impossible to tell the difference and is up to the listener to judge.

I was also thinking on the topic of passive aggression, I believe I find it more in the higher educated and more financially well off than the lower educated and the poor. Academia and Social clubs seem to be hotbeds of passive aggressive behavior. The financially well off even coined the term “frenemy” to describe people who are perpetually in these relationships.

I have chosen to live in a more financially poor and less educated neighborhood. My last neighbor was passive aggressive to the extreme (the neighborhood cat lady). Now I hear my three closest neighbors yell “you hoah” and “you fakah” at the top of their lungs at each other along with some intimate tirade for everyone on the street to hear. I think I much prefer the perhaps once a month dramatic yelling to the nonstop passive aggressive myself.

When interacting with and traveling internationally I found Greet-Hofstede’s Cultural Compass (overview linked here) (country comparison linked here) helpful in sorting understanding how to interact. Do not that in the higher Power Distance countries (many Asian countries), it highly depends on if someone views you as a superior or subordinate on how the expect to be interacted with.
For me it was a great help become much more facile as opposed to perhaps our default US labels like arrogant, passive aggressive, dominating, meek, etc… No right or wrong, just different cultures.
It feels like there might be some close mapping with the IT levels, quadrants, zones.