Information Warfare Education, Propaganda, and How to Tell the Difference

In our school all of this is very positive for the kids. In k-6 it was a lot of inclusion of histories and accomplishments of Black, Hispanic, Native American, women, as well as teaching of white men, no one hates them, most kids have them for dads. Just more was included. Starting in 6th grade there was more focus on injustices and LGBTQ issues, but from a how do we move forward stance, so here was the history including current issues, then projects around how to move forward with a more inclusive and fair-minded look. How do we do this better?

I really don’t get the hysteria around it. The results I see compared to when I was in school is the kids trust the school, they trust their teachers. Kids are not stupid. They are rebuilding faith in institutions. It just seems like a win-win. Not that there isn’t a discussion to be had on how to address “white-guilt” better, but I also see the much vilified SEL curriculums so helpful. I really don’t get what conservatives are so panicked about other than disinformation.

Do you think the progressives are working to implement their vision, their agendas within our State institutions?

Should we change our governing structures from having elected legislators (law makers) and elected administrators (president, governors) set direction and guidelines for our non-elected State/Federal institutions, with the Judiciary ruling on areas of ambiguity and contention?

Posted above is a link to John Anderson’s channel with a recommendation for his less than 10 minute discussion on Collectivism vs Liberty. In the simplest form, it’s about this simple.

• Left - Individuals are granted rights by the state
  • Right - State is granted it’s power by individual citizenry

I don’t think attacking awesome curriculum that will help empower children to resist progressive nonsense is helping the cause. The lump A or lump B approach is dumb. It’s just exhausting, confusing and it tearing the country to shreds. Paranoia over right or left extremism is pointless.

Perhaps if we shared our specific paranoia’s. Would this enable perhaps enfolding views?

Collectivism vs Liberty. In the simplest form, it’s about this simple.

• Left - Individuals are granted rights by the state
  • Right - State is granted it’s power by individual citizenry

I personally think this is a very low resolution take, and falls apart almost immediately after taking a closer look.

If we want to imagine a simple polarity between “liberty” and “collectivism”, we can clearly see that there are versions of this on both the right and the left. As Haidt says above, “the devoted conservatives score highest on beliefs related to authoritarianism”. In other words, there are both auth-right tribes, and lib-right tribes. Just as there are auth-left tribes, and lib-left tribes. Which gives rise to the infamous “political compass” memes that we see so often on the web.

But even that simple political compass doesn’t really hold up, because really we would need to establish a different compass for every stage of development, and stack all of those on top of each other. Which means that terms like “liberty” and “collectivism” look different from stage to stage. For example, auth-left can look like Stalin at the Amber stage, can look neoliberal or technocratic at the orange stage, and can look like environmentalism at the green level. (Which is why I think “individual and collective”, or maybe even “agency and communion”, are much better stage-neutral terms to use for this sort of compass, rather than “liberty vs. authoritarianism”.)

I can certainly notice how my compass changes from stage to stage. If I am playing poker with a group of red people, I am a dictator. If I am playing poker with a group of turquoise people, I am an anarchist.

And then there’s the question of scale — what level of governing are we talking about? Many conservatives, for example, are “lib-right” when it comes to the federal level, but “auth-right” when it comes to the state level. Which basically means they want states to have the freedom to be as authoritarian as they want to be. And many progressives are “lib-left” when it comes to the state level, but “auth-left” on the national level — meaning they want states to have the freedom to experiment within the “laboratory of democracy”, but want the federal government to craft policy that addresses issues that are beyond any individual state’s ability to solve (climate change, unsustainable wealth inequality, etc.)

And this can look different from quadrant to quadrant. For example, I often say that I want more healthy conservative guardrails when it comes to culture in the LL quadrant, and far more progressive policies when it comes to political and economic systems in the LR.

And of course, all of these are simply tendencies. Western society clearly exists within an ongoing creative tension between these kinds of polarities. I think it’s probably fairly obvious from an integral point of view that having an absolutistic preference for one pole over the other only brings our civilization further out of balance, whether it’s hyper-individualism vs. hyper-collectivism, hyper-interiorism vs. hyper-exteriorism, hyper-differentiation vs. hyper-integration, etc.

Again, we can look at civil rights, which did not exist until progressives reconfigured the state to expand and defend our extant notion of “rights” and “liberty”. Which then had to be implemented and enforced from a federal, “authoritarian”, top-down direction. (And it was decades of this top-down enforcement that allows us to say things today like “it’s a settled issue”, because as I’ve said, if “parents rights” were a thing in the 1950s and 60s, we never would have desegregated our schools across the country.)

So was civil rights “liberty” based, or “collectivism” based? Kinda both, really — it was a bottom-up expansion of liberty, which needs to be enforced from the top-down by the collective.

What about, say, environmentalism? Is that liberty-based, or collectivism-based? Once again, kinda both. I should have the liberty to enjoy clean air and water, healthy biodiversity, and a stable climate. But that liberty requires collective action, cooperation, and enforcement.

I think it can be helpful to think of the critical polarities in our politics, and how those polarities shift from one stage to the next, and at different scales of cooperative self-organization. But that’s all the more reason why I think it’s kind of silly for any integral-informed person to choose any single pole, and especially to wrap an entire political identity around it.

Echoing Haidt above, history has a direction — and that direction is toward increasing cooperation. I’d also add that it is simultaneously toward increasing agency. The hope is, we can incrementally shift our society toward more sustainable, more integral systems that can leverage both. Which is the entire premise behind something like the “social contract”, of course — that every right of the individual is accompanied by a critical responsibility to the collective.

And I see this as one of our central problems — our contemporary notion of the “individual”, which first emerged within a shared perception of the world as a nearly infinite frontier with infinite resources to be extracted, really has not evolved a whole lot over the generations. How can we retain the dignities of individualism, while simultaneously recognizing that our planet is not an open system with infinite resources to be endlessly exploited, but a closed system with finite resources that requires cooperation at a massive scale in order to sustain? If we can figure that out — how to both empower the individual, while encouraging more sustainable self-organization on a massive scale, in order to bring the greatest depth to the greatest scale — we will have unlocked some critical wisdom for future generations.

And really, the “individual” is itself a bit of a mirage. As Ken likes to say, there is no individual anywhere in the kosmos that is not simultaneously part of a collective. And what appears to be an “individual” at one scale, is seen to be anything but at another scale. Even my own body — the very seat of my own sense of “being an individual”, is only 50% “me” from a genetic point of view. What I call my “individual self” is actually an entire cooperative eco-system of “me” and “not me”. Just another product of history’s relentless march toward greater cooperation at greater scales — a rich ecology of individual and collective action at every stage of evolutionary unfolding. The more we can base our political self-organization on the natural patterns of self-organization we see everywhere else, the better we will be, I think. And as far as I am concerned, integral does a better job of helping us recognize and identify those patterns than any other model.

I think the both the left and the right fear the other wants total control over everyone and everything. They just differ in what they want to control and are in denial about these same processes in themselves. Corey is better at articulating all the toxicity, it just exhausts me.

It’s like the article I commented on. It is such an exaggerated take on curriculums that focus on owning your mistakes, learning from them, and making better choices. My fear is these exaggerations prevent healthy dialogue, my paranoia is we will elect people believing and then acting from this exaggerated state and all progress will be reversed. I see this exaggeration in both right and left directions, but I fear the rights more…by a hair, because from what I know of people around me, the right believes these exaggerations more…by a hair.

You had me with “falls apart immediately”. :slight_smile:
But at least you’re consistent. Every argument you make is in support of:

So much for “enfolding” pretty much nothing at all you don’t already agree with.

I pulled the Civil Rights Act vote records to double check your “progressives rock” narrative. Yes, progressives rock!
You do realize the majority of No votes were Democrats?
You do realize the majority of Republicans were Yes votes? Should we consider Republicans as progressives?

And what on earth does this “why I say, back in the day…” have to do with anything today?

Is arguing for all the credit really the game for Far Left Progressives?

@FermentedAgave Corey sure does have a lot of nice ways to say “that’s retarded”

The whole problem with the Progressive / Conservative terminology is that these words describe groups in the 1960’s. Society has changed but unfortunately people still using these words either are not clever enough to come up with new words to describe our current society or just don’t care and just want to keep the same fight going from 50 years ago even though it is irrelevant today.

The problem with the idea that “the state is granted rights by the citizenry” is when elections are won through all these lies and exaggerations, right and left, the citizenry isn’t making choices based on what they want but from what they fear most. This is why, both right and left, they just get into office and make what they think their base wants happen. But, who the hell knows because the actual conversation never really happened, except at best, in a bubble.

“Republican and Democrat” =/= “progressive and conservative” :slight_smile:

“Should we consider Republicans as progressives?”

Of the time? Absolutely we should. Let’s take a look at a map of yes/no by state:

Interesting, it looks like the same states that are often associated with waving the confederate flag to this day, were also against civil rights back then. Shocking!

Progressives of the day won women the vote, progressives of another day won civil rights for minorities, progressives of another day won marriage rights for gays. Dems the facts!

And what on earth does this “why I say, back in the day…” have to do with anything today?

Well, just a few days ago, in this very thread, we were talking about “parents’ rights” as it pertains to prohibiting teachers from saying the word “gay”. And in this same thread, I mentioned that “parents’ rights” would have prevented desegregation of schools back then, and you said “that doesn’t matter, it’s a settled issue now.”

So basically, what I am saying, is that 50 years from now, the existence of gay people (and our right to acknowledge their existence in our schools!) will, with any hope, also be a “settled issue”. Sorta like an analogy.

But at least you’re consistent. Every argument you make is in support of: Left - Individuals are granted rights by the state

Wait, really? That’s all you got out of all those paragraphs?

What I actually did was a) disprove your statement that “the left is x, the right is y”, and then b) explain exactly why both directions are necessary in any thriving society. I mean, that’s the definition of enfoldment, isn’t it?

You offered a low resolution and binary “libs be like this, cons be like that” — which, yes, falls apart as soon as we apply that frame to the actual political tribes that are active in this country today.

One other question about your Right/Left definitions. Do you believe in always one never the other or can you transcend and include both in a governing vision?

1 Like

If we need to further reinforce the idea that the Republican Party was once the home of progressivism and economic “leftism”, let’s take a look at what Abraham Lincoln himself thought of capitalism:

“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”

Whoa, Lincoln kinda sounding kinda like a Bernie bro here!

@corey-devos

So why wade in if it’s simply “too low resolution” to be of value? Maybe I’m missing the “transcendent” parts of your arguments, but they sound like the same arguments you make day in day out.

Or perhaps your suffering from a whole bunch of Progressophobia.

Did you hear Trump is running in 2024. It’s official.

And if I were you, instead of jousting with Tequila Sunrise, I’d bebop over to the WEF thread and Integralsplain those folks a thang or two on how your version of Integral might look like, smell like, taste like but is completely different than the Far Left’s Neo/Post/Meta/Global Marxism.
Inquiring minds would like to know.

So why wade in if it’s simply “too low resolution” to be of value?

Because I thought it was worthwhile to try to supplement a low-resolution binary map, with a higher-resolution map I’ve been thinking about, which attempts to use some basic integral concepts to more accurately describe the territory, and how that territory can shift from one stage to the next, and from one level of scale to the next.

Maybe I’m missing the “transcendent” parts of your arguments, but they sound like the same arguments you make day in day out.

While you are just cranking out some truly novel takes over there :wink: I’d suggest re-reading what I wrote, but instead of looking through a lens of “how can I dismiss all of this”, try looking through a lens of “what is he agreeing with me about, and where can I agree with him?”

Because I made tons of space for individualism (even while transcluding it), for bottom-up politics (even while transcluding it), and for liberty-based solutions (even while transcluding it).

“Or perhaps your suffering from a whole bunch of Progressophobia.”

Well, I’m not the one constantly voicing my phobia of progressives :wink:

Of course, if you are saying I am somehow allergic to “progress”, that is a pretty silly accusation to make, and very easily refuted considering all the things I say about development, emergence, and stuff like “history has a direction toward increasing cooperation”.

Integralsplain those folks a thang or two on how your version of Integral might look like, smell like, taste like but is completely different than the Far Left

I just love it when you straw man and dismiss me before I even get a chance to say anything.

I don’t have any coherent thoughts to share about the WEF thread right now. When I do, I’ll be sure to let you know first thing.

You’re not getting the Right’s basic needs. At least I don’t get that you get it.

Again - I’d bop over to the WEF thread. You’ve got some fresh targets to joust with.

@corey-devos
If you were not blinded by Progressophobia, you wouldn’t be fixated on trying failed ideologies on the USA. You would be getting your act together to help the +1B Chinese, the +1B Indians, the +300M Indonesians, the +200M Nigerians, the +200M Pakistanis, the +100M Russians that could benefit soooo much from your conveyor belt to nirvana.
But no, you want to “give it a go” on the USA. Why? We’ll tolerate a lot more bullshit than Xi or Putin or the Hindus or the Muslims. Those people would like to be able to feed their families without getting killed by the government for wearing green socks on Thursday.

If a high level thinker like you hasn’t thought about WEF, what the hell are you guys doing behind the curtains? :wink:

You’ve got some fresh targets to joust with.

Projection? I really don’t see you as a “target” to “joust” or “spar” with. If you come along and say something like, “libtards eat vegetables, real conservatives eat meat”, and I say “well hold on, there are literally millions of libs who eat meat, and millions of conservatives who eat vegetables,” that doesn’t mean I am “sparring” or “debating” with you. Especially if I am simultaneously suggesting a larger frame, one that transcludes (and properly situates) both of your claims, such as saying “we’re all omnivores, after all”. That’s enfoldment, baby.

And I am certainly not trying to dismiss you altogether, or criticize your character — a kindness you continue to seem unwilling to extend to me.

LMAO yeah, it must be my “progressophobia”, because I NEVER talk about progress on this website, do I? Other than literally 19 years of evidence throughout this site that disproves your caricature. Seems like another little box you are trying to cram me into.

Or maybe it’s because this is the country I was born in, where I spend all my time, and where I keep all my stuff. Your whole “if you don’t like it here you should go somewhere else” thing doesn’t really work on me.

Also, why doesn’t this argument work for your own views? Should I just dismiss conservative concerns about leftist Marxist radicals destroying our beautiful country and burning our cities to the ground as “progressophobia” and walk away feeling like I’ve scored a point? Why are you guys trying so hard to change things in this country that you don’t like? Wouldn’t your efforts be far more effective in Pakistan or Ecuador or Zimbabwe? Can’t you just accept that America is already Baby Jesus’s favorite country, exactly as it is? :joy:

If a high level thinker like you hasn’t thought about WEF, what the hell are you guys doing behind the curtains? :wink:

I do not pretend to be an expert on all things, and I try not to do the whole “reactionary comment” thing before I actually have something meaningful to say.

As for what I’m doing “behind the curtains” – not much at all, just producing and publishing all of our content, every single week :wink: You catch my animations for the recent episode I did with Ken about the 8 zones? That took a ton of time and effort. Adobe Premiere is a beast, but I’m having fun learning new skillz to pay the billz!

Time to lighten it up a bit with some Right wing disinformation

Clarity…

@FermentedAgave
So I suppose you want to outlaw these restrooms?
You need clarity and this probably confuses you?
Should we also outlaw the braille and the handicapped Hobbit, or do we need to legislate giving blind people and handicapped Hobbits their own bathrooms?