Inhabit: The Territory of You

Originally published at: https://integrallife.com/inhabit-the-territory-of-you/

Stats   W elcome to INHABIT — a monthly practice-based series with Ryan Oelke and Corey deVos, designed to help you embody your own unique expression of integral being and more fully inhabit the territory of your life, your relationships, and your world. Integral itself can often feel like such a cognitive and intellectual pursuit.…

4 Likes

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a quick note to reiterate that we very much want you guys to be a part of this ongoing show. So if you have any feedback, questions, personal challenges, or topics of interest that you would like us to cover, please let us know!

1 Like

Great show Corey and Ryan, I have been looking for a show like this for a while emerging out of Integral Life. Good timing. The collective and individual explorations of inhabiting and deinhabiting, the arriving practice, and mirror website… staying simple amidst the Integral Meta-theory… was wonderful. A great beginning for this show. I look forward to future episodes, the practices and explorations.

Question: Can you follow up the practice next show with how you might take the arriving practice into a next step after you have settled into doing that for a while in your life?

3 Likes

Hi guys, just wanted to say thanks for the show. I really like this idea of ‘inhabiting’. It’s so important to ground, be embodied, be at home in the body but I know in my own life I can be so much in my head, with so many ideas and concepts from so many different inputs that I end up, well, kind of ‘un-inhabited’. I have to call myself back home to myself, come back to this body, these senses, this breath in this moment but there can be a resistance to this because I’m enjoying the mental buzz. Also, I think Ryan mentioned spiritual bypassing at one point and something I’ve seen in myself and others is a tendency to want to stay with the ‘highs’ of spiritual practice and intellectual stimulation and not deal with the up and down nature of ordinary embodied existence. I think this can be a particular danger on the path for people whose ‘embodied life’ here on Planet Earth has been painful and traumatic, with the ‘detachment’ becoming dissociation – hence the importance of the never-ending shadow work. Thanks again guys, I look forward to future discussions. This is my first post on here so I hope I’m posting in the right place and not breaking any rules :wink:

4 Likes

Really enjoyed inhabiting your spiritual life and would like to hear discussions about inhabiting our spiritual life within deep developing relationships when the cultural baggage that has shaped us as male and female come up through strong emotional responses. (patriarchy encounters feminism)
We are all flawed and developing. The shadows we hide are very well known to those closest to us and being receptive to receive that information from a loved one can be overwhelming when presented with emotions of anger, distrust or a sense of betrayal.
How to develop skillful means rather than the skill of meanness.
Maybe an in depth discussion of dealing with emotions that at time are so crippling

1 Like

I finally have had the opportunity to listen to this podcast. I think you are right on about the idea behind it. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard that Integral “takes place above the neck”. I also liked the www.inamirror.com idea. To be critical, I am not a fan of guided meditations on podcasts or videos. As you skipped over the Integral basics because the assumption is most people listening have these already, I would hope or think the same thing for some meditation practice.
I will put on my list to listen to the next segment before suggesting any questions. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: We’ll likely stick with some sort of guided practice in each episode for the moment as we’ve also heard people appreciate it, but we’ll also be sure to remind folks that they can skip ahead if they’re listening to it later. We might also experiment with putting it at the end vs. the beginning. Also, we’re hoping the practice bits will build through each episode, have more context, whereas the first two episodes were fairly foundational/beginner, and so experienced practitioners definitely might have preferred skipping over that :slight_smile: In any case, we’ll definitely keep checking in to see how people are feeling about that. Even if we end up not having any guided practice, we very much want to be at least toeing that line or we won’t accomplish the goal of the podcast :wink:

1 Like