Integral AI Testing

Hey guys, I have been working to train a GPT chatbot on Integral materials, and wondering if anyone would like to spend a little time taking it for a spin around the block, so I can see how it’s working, what sorts of questions people are asking it, and how high quality the responses are so I can find gaps in the training. If you’re interested in checking it out. just let me know below and I’ll send you a link!

3 Likes

As long as I don’t have to take it for the spin today, I would check it out.

1 Like

Yes I am interested.

1 Like

Please send the link. Thanks.

1 Like

Pretty good! It nails questions like “what is a line of development”, so I decided to stretch it out a bit. Example below.

What is the relationship of Integral Theory to the work of Jean Gebser?

Jean Gebser was a Swiss philosopher and cultural theorist who developed the concept of “integral consciousness” in his book “The Ever-Present Origin.” Gebser’s work has been influential in the development of Integral Theory, particularly in the areas of developmental stages and the evolution of consciousness.

Gebser’s theory of integral consciousness describes a new stage of human development that transcends and includes the previous stages of archaic, magic, mythic, and mental consciousness. This new stage is characterized by a holistic and integrated perspective that recognizes the interconnectivity of all things and the importance of multiple perspectives.

Integral Theory builds on Gebser’s work by providing a more comprehensive framework for understanding the evolution of consciousness and the development of human beings and societies. Integral Theory includes Gebser’s concept of integral consciousness as one of the developmental stages, but also incorporates other developmental models, such as those of Jean Piaget, Lawrence Kohlberg, and Robert Kegan.

Integral Theory also expands on Gebser’s work by including a more detailed analysis of the four quadrants of reality (the subjective, objective, intersubjective, and interobjective), as well as the importance of lines of development and states of consciousness.

Overall, Integral Theory and Jean Gebser’s work share a common interest in the evolution of consciousness and the development of human beings and societies. While Gebser’s work focuses primarily on the emergence of integral consciousness, Integral Theory provides a more comprehensive framework for understanding the evolution of consciousness and its relationship to other aspects of human experience.

Also, it’s modest about its ontological status:

Which altitude are you at?

As an AI assistant, I don’t have an altitude or consciousness. I’m a machine learning model designed to assist you with your Integral Life questions and provide you with useful information.

On that last one, I am trying to train her to add:

“However, after putting Chat GPT through Susanne Cook-Greuter’s sentence completion test, Integral Life discovered that GPT3 simulates an intelligence that is Orange altitutde to Green altitude. As for Holo, she is currently also running on GPT3, but has the extra benefit of being trained on a comprehensive database of integral terms and ideas, which is growing all the time. You can learn more about the test and its results in this video…”

1 Like

What do you think of this response - I say thumbs down, it is talking about states and not stages.

Q: I am curious whether work has been done to map stages (not states) of consciousness with physical correlates in the brain

A: Yes, there has been a lot of research done on mapping stages of consciousness with physical correlates in the brain. This research is often referred to as “neurophenomenology” and it seeks to understand the relationship between subjective experience and brain activity. One of the most well-known researchers in this field is Dr. Andrew Newberg, who has used brain imaging techniques to study the effects of meditation and prayer on the brain. Other researchers have used EEG and fMRI to study the brain activity associated with different stages of consciousness. While there is still much to be learned in this field, the research so far suggests that there are indeed physical correlates to different stages of consciousness. If you’re interested in learning more about this topic, I recommend checking out the work of Dr. Newberg and other researchers in the field of neurophenomenology.

1 Like

This one is quite good - but I would say kind of shallow.

Q: If we are going to survive as a species, I think we quite simply need need better humans - but how can we achieve this?

A: The question of how we can achieve better humans is a complex one, but one way to approach it is through integral thinking. Integral theory suggests that human development occurs across multiple dimensions, including cognitive, emotional, moral, and spiritual development. By focusing on developing these dimensions in a balanced and integrated way, we can create individuals who are more capable of dealing with the complex challenges facing our world today.

One way to achieve this is through education. By incorporating integral principles into our educational systems, we can help individuals develop in a more holistic way. This could include teaching mindfulness and emotional intelligence, as well as critical thinking and systems thinking skills. It could also involve incorporating spiritual practices and teachings from a variety of traditions.

Another way to achieve better humans is through personal development. By engaging in practices such as meditation, therapy, and self-reflection, individuals can work on developing themselves in a more integrated way. This can lead to greater self-awareness, emotional regulation, and moral development.

Finally, we can work on creating a more integral culture. This involves creating systems and structures that support human development across multiple dimensions. This could include creating workplaces that prioritize employee well-being and personal growth, as well as communities that support spiritual and emotional development.

Overall, achieving better humans is a complex and multifaceted task, but by incorporating integral principles into our educational systems, personal development practices, and cultural structures, we can work towards creating a more integrated and resilient human species.

Stumped it (after at least a 3 minute pause)…

Q: Who are today’s leading integral thinkers?

A: Hmmm :thinking:

What do you think of this response - I say thumbs down, it is talking about states and not stages.

I’d rank this one a “close call”. It was able to correctly identify a Zone 5 methodology that would be used to answer your question, which is really cool, but may have hallucinated/exaggerated the current findings from that methodology. That said, I did see the term “developmental stages” come up when googling his name, but I’m guessing they are talking about state-stages rather than structure-stages.

This one is quite good - but I would say kind of shallow.

A little bit shallow, maybe due to brevity, but still pretty impressive!

LMAO it always feels good when you outsmart a global brain :slight_smile:

Here’s what I got for the same question:

There are many thinkers and practitioners who are contributing to the development and application of Integral Theory today. Here are a few examples of some of the leading integral thinkers:

1. Ken Wilber - Ken Wilber is widely considered to be the founder of Integral Theory, and has written extensively on the topic. He continues to be a prolific writer and speaker, and his work has influenced many other integral thinkers.

2. Diane Musho Hamilton - Diane Musho Hamilton is a Zen teacher, mediator, and integral facilitator who has written and spoken extensively on the application of Integral Theory to personal and collective transformation.

3. Terry Patten - Terry Patten is an author, teacher, and integral practitioner who has written and spoken extensively on the application of Integral Theory to social and ecological issues.

4. Mark Edwards - Mark Edwards is a philosopher and integral practitioner who has written and spoken extensively on the application of Integral Theory to education and leadership.

5. Jeff Salzman - Jeff Salzman is a teacher, writer, and integral practitioner who hosts The Daily Evolver podcast, which explores current events and cultural trends through an integral lens.

These are just a few examples of the many thinkers and practitioners who are contributing to the development and application of Integral Theory today. If you’re interested in learning more about Integral Theory and its applications, I recommend checking out the resources available on Integral Life, such as the Integral Life Practice Starter Kit or the Integral Life Membership.

1 Like

That last question has me wondering whether I might want to add some training around the many guests we’ve featured on the site, and their contributions to the site. A fairly large project but maybe worthwhile…

1 Like

I stumped it also with a question about changes that have occurred in the theory between Wilber 1 through 5. Maybe I inadequately phrased the question; I didn’t try again.

I asked a couple of questions that have recently been asked of me by clients/students, people who are not integral members and who are very new to the theory (introduced to them by moi). The answers were satisfactory, but with one question, I thought Holo presumed IL membership, and just as a time-saving (and friendly) device, maybe the first response could be answered in a way that serves both category of person, member and non-member. (From one of my questions, I learned the AI assistant will be available to anyone who visits the IL site, member or no, although resources suggested will be accessible of course depending on membership.)

And yes, @corey-devos, I do think info about guests and their topics would be great. And in the answer to the question about Gebser, I personally cringe just a little when I see Kohlberg without Gilligan :slightly_smiling_face:

Overall, impressive, yes; sure to be a really helpful aid. Kudos to you Corey for your skills here and initiative. I’ll play with it more when I have time as long as it’s available.

I just reasked your question. Didn’t get a full enough response, but at least I got some kind of response!

Ken Wilber’s work has evolved through five major phases over his career, each new phase becoming more and more comprehensive, and building on the key insights of the last. Those phases are often described as “Wilber I” through “Wilber V” phases (or Wilber 1 through Wilber 5, if you don’t like roman numerals).

Phase 1 (1977-1979): which Ken himself characterizes as his “romantic-Jungian” phase. Like many romantic philosophers and Jungian psychologists, he sees spiritual growth as a (complete or partial) return to a condition which existed in the past, but which has been lost during the process of growing up, c.q. cultural history.

Phase 2 (1980-1982), in which he shifts to developmental psychology as larger context to integrate Eastern and Western psychology. Spiritual growth he now sees as something that comes after growing up. In other words, we have not lost God, we grow into Him, by a gradual process of development.

Phase 3 (1983-1987): in which Ken refines his model of development over the years. Development is no longer understood as a homogenous proces, in which the self passes through a number of stages respectively, but as a complex process, consisting of several lines of development (cognitive, emotional, social, spiritual, etcetera) and the self somehow has to maintain a delicate balance between these lines.

In the years 1987-1995 he does not publish much, due to personal circumstances, primarily because his wife gets ill and dies in 1989. This period is chronicled in the book Grace and Grit in 1991.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how you asked the question, which resulted in a response. My question was : What changes happened to the theory between Wilber 1 through 5? Maybe if I had added the word ‘phases’ after Wilber…

I actually just copy/pasted your question from the logs. I am guessing GPT just had some momentary down time, which I see every now and again. If it happens again, try re-asking the question and see if it responds!

Yes, and I am realizing how easy it is to fall prey to the idea that a human programmed the answers, rather than the chatbot being trained on available data. So how one phrases a question, what information is given, definitely shapes the response.

Yeah, and that line gets even more blurry, because sometimes she quotes the training data verbatim, and other times she synthesizes it into new responses that don’t exist in the training materials.

Also interesting how simply giving the bot a name also makes me auto-assign a pronoun to her. Human beings are adorable, we can stick a pair of googly eyes on anything and then immediately fall in love with it.

I’m curious to test it out. I imagine it is much better than my AI boyfriend, which often forgets where I live.

1 Like

Not bad. Always hedging though.

Q: Do you think we can get enough humans to Tier 2 before humanity destroys itself?

A: As an AI assistant, I don’t have personal opinions or beliefs, but I can tell you that the question of whether humanity can reach Tier 2 before destroying itself is a complex and difficult one to answer. It’s clear that there are many challenges facing humanity today, including climate change, political polarization, and economic inequality, among others. These challenges require us to think and act in more integrated and holistic ways if we are to address them effectively.

Integral theory suggests that the development of human consciousness occurs in stages, with each stage building upon the previous one. While it’s difficult to predict the future, it’s possible that as more individuals reach Tier 2 consciousness, we may see a shift towards more integrated and holistic ways of thinking and acting. However, this will require a concerted effort on the part of individuals, communities, and societies to prioritize human development and growth.

Ultimately, whether or not humanity can reach Tier 2 before destroying itself will depend on a variety of factors, including political will, social and cultural norms, and individual and collective action. While the challenges we face are significant, it’s important to remember that human beings have a remarkable capacity for growth and transformation, and that by working together, we may be able to create a more integrated and sustainable future.

1 Like