Integral Education Reform

Originally published at: https://integrallife.com/integral-education-reform/

To begin the dialogue on how to create healthy, wise human beings capable of development, we need a map of that child’s potential. The AQAL model is just such a map. It is a comprehensive index of all the things that can go well or poorly in child development. Yet many challenges lie ahead. In this video, Ken Wilber, discusses those challenges. If you work in the field of education, or are merely interested in it, Ken can help you understand what you’re up against.

It would be useful to know the current status of the Integral education initiatives mentioned in the video. In general it seems to me that education has an easier time with exteriors than interiors, because “objective” grading is just easier to manage. Quadrant I is the most difficult territory for public education, for reasons including the vMEME conflicts mentioned in the video. In my own educational work with adults in professional/technical programs, this same issue occurs in a milder form around the issue of “soft skills”. Employers are clearly noting that candidates need to be more than computing or calculating machines - they need relational skills also. But things like problem solving, communication, team work etc. are hard to pin down in a curriculum, precisely, one might argue, because there is a personal interior dimension to all of these that escapes capture through objective testing models.