Is there a way of thinking about beauty as objective?

Hello awesome community :hugs: This is my first post :relaxed:

I understand how there is/might-be an objective Truth and objective Good. Absolute or close to one - individually, collectively and universally).

but is there a way of understanding an objective Beauty?

It seems to me that it is very different from Truth and Good in a way that it is almost 100% individual-cultural.Anything can be looked at as beautiful or ugly and that it is really only in the eye of the beholder without any universal beauty.

Would love to hear what you guys have to say :smiley:

One way to discern this is that I, WE, IT, ITS are quadra arising, therefore beauty arise through all perspectives and can be looked at and experienced through all of them to some degree. The ā€˜subjectiveā€™ being the most prominent modality by which it can be realized in actuality. In biology, cuteness is studied as a determinant of selection. In aesthetic, it can refer to the subjective embodied experience of humans and all sentient beings. In that way, beauty can be described as a unique appreciation of the living experience which is unique to every being and yet we can share some of that felt experience through multiple modalities. This subjective uniqueness, when applied to all sentient being, can be described as a universal quality or property of being.

1 Like

Thanks @TVB ! :slight_smile:

Can you give examples of how Beauty is manifested in the ITS quadrant?

When humanity first saw a picture of earth, a galaxy, or aerial pictures of different geographies. I would add any landscape or terrain that we find attractive, the stars, sunset, forest, mountains, a city landscape, architectural designs, etc. How the universe organises and relates to itself presents a certain beauty to our eyes and mind as they are witnessed. Its forms can be experienced and observed as being beautiful ones. Some may find beauty in complexity theory when observed through the mind, either through inferences or a sense of immanence. Civilizations are admired throughout eras for their accomplishments, artefacts and discoveries.

In art, most of what people think of as beautiful follows the rules of color theory and dynamic balance in composition. The ā€œOld Mastersā€ painters figured this stuff out 400 years ago.

In people, itā€™s markers of fertility (health). Thick, shiny hair, smooth skin, bi-lateral symmetry, when calories were scarce, fat, now itā€™s muscle mass and tan skin. In women (this is a polarity, so binary warning here!) youth, a specific waist-to-hip size ratio (a marker of fertility). Large mammary glands. Men are judged more on power and wealth, so thereā€™s no masculine beauty. Author/researcher David Buss has good books on this.