Is there an Integral diagnosis protocol?

I often try to use the integral model to guide my practice and decide what to focus on.

While IT gives a good map for everything, one is left with the question of how to evaluate exactly which piece is best to work on next with higher precision than general quadrants and levels.

I sort of built my own system with scotch and glue but I was wandering if (and hoping) something moe structured exists which people can use to easily diagnose a certain state and decide which practices to work on.

1 Like

This would be great… an integral self-actualization app that shows all possible paths/lines of development in a skill tree like structure. Community aggregated… Would act as an assessment tool by the persons ability to progress down the tree. Could be gamified… Also acts to organize all knowledge in this domain. All the training strategies can be in one place, for all quadrants, levels, lines, states and types.

The school of integral/spirituality is all still in its infancy, looks like its up to us to make this stuff happen. :smiley:

Feels like we should be organizing bodys of knowledge in tree like structures everywhere, similar to how the human brain models knowledge. Everything is deeply interconnected to everything else, why are we not making does connections explicit?

Found some resources on the subject, does not include everything. Also stuff you probably already know lol

Google “Integral life practice” this is the topic

Books/kits:

Videos:

Links:

Some ideas of how others are going about things.

I would recommend checking out the Interdisciplinary Research Process (IRP) as that, while not explicitely Integral, nevertheless approaches research specifically from a very integral point of view. What’s valuable is that it provides a step by step, repeatable method that can be used to conduct an IRP project.

Check out this book by Repko and Szostak: https://www.amazon.com/Interdisciplinary-Research-Allen-F-Repko-ebook/dp/B01DWC39T6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2TV01WPHT5H5Z&keywords=interdisciplinary+research+process+and+theory&qid=1549999047&s=gateway&sprefix=interdisciplinary+r%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-1

Ignore the negative reviews, some people don’t like when they have to take a required class :slight_smile: It’s not as hard or dry as some people in the reviews make it out to be.

I will caution you, though, that if you check that book out, it does have a materialist bias that I was able to glean from the way Szostak categorizes phenomena (he makes genetic predisposition primary over consciousness, which is then by definition an epiphenomenon, which is overall a very materialist point of view that requires an epistemological miracle to actually be logically true). Most of the methods are sound, however.

I’m sure there are plenty of us out there looking for a system that suits us. It puts me in mind of a laboratory where there are numerous experiments going on, each with its own particular methods/tools for investigating what’s going on. Looking more deeply, we can see that the investigators spent quite some time setting up and developing their line of enquiry before they even got into the lab; there needs to be quite some work done before we can even guess at which tools are suitable.

Thanks @Test!
I am familliar more or less with that material but i find it still a bit too generic.

I really think a startup/lean approach (testing, iteration, tracking) could be brough into the spiritual scene, expanding the work previously done (which already followed this approach to a certain extent) with an integral approach. In the end that is how the who spiritual world evolved so far by continuous confrontation.

Some of the details of navigating growing up, showing up and cleaning up have a ton of nuance and its not really clear how one can exactly find the right thing to narrow down on. I also believe some areas and techniques which are potentially very efficient do not seem to have a clear place in the integral life practice map (ex working on traumas, congruency and more)

I’ve been working on an idea of a systematisation of practices with standardised protocols & variants with a system of indicators and checklists for when practice is not quite “working” (with all the complexities of assessing “result” in a spiritual process).

I’ve been trying to work on this for a long while but would love to work on it hands in hands with anyone who finds this avenue interesting.

@russ.legear i am particularly interested in integral approach to personal development (not research as a whole which may expand the map by a lot) but Iw ill be happy to check it out :slight_smile: