Movies absorbed while still being in the magical stage of being and beyond

Hello Everybody,

Since I am new, I am starting treads that are simple yet I believe this topic is valid by helping me and maybe one other person understand why we are they way we are. My serious observation is if we don’t take a hard look at all the small influences we absorbed when we only had a first person perspective, they are still rattling around somewhere in the sub or unconscious.

Some of the movies that I absorbed before the age of 7 or 8 still resonate with me. My mother told me I asked to go see Lawrence of Arabia at least five times. She was a kind woman and actually took me. I think it was all the sand on the large screen that seemed overwhelming. For those of you who remember the movie, they somehow made Peter O’Toole’s eyes ultra blue. What did I get from the movie? I think something like the English people are adventurous and manly. Of course I changed that view when I went to England. My point is, however, there is still a part of me that believes that.

To Sir with Love. Come on. I recently became a substitute teacher and thought I would be like Sidney Poitier. I would be stern and treat that kids as adults. As you would well expect, I was delusional.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Wow! Can anyone remember the name of the actor who played the astronaut. I’m sure many of you can but I don’t. My point here is that even though I didn’t understand the plot, the colors at the end really made me a lover of science fiction. The upscale theatre I was taken to mounted speakers on the side of the audience on walls to create what I would guess would be one of the first attempts at surround sound. This one movie shaped a strong interest in one genre of art.

Disney’s The Jungle Book. I was charmed by it and wore out the 33 1/3 song tract. There has been a lot of discussion about the political correctness of the old Disney movies over the last several years. For example, why did they add an orangutang named King Louie who was obviously Louis Armstrong. When I went to India, I was setting next to a young man from India who thoroughly enjoyed the new live/animation version of it. After that, I thought I really didn’t have the interest how politically correct a Disney film is when it was created in a certain time and place with perhaps different perspectives on currently relevant hot spots. How can people know in the past what the values of the future are going to be?

The Red Baron was another film that comes to mind. It was revisionist portrayal of the Nazi’s as showing the Red Baron as a hero of honor not concerned with politics. About that time, there was a song about Snoopy fighting the Red Baron in a light hearted pop song. Sort of Bizarre? Don’t even get me started on Hogan’s Hero’s.

These are only movies that come to mind, let alone the dozens of cartoon series that filled Saturday morning and comic books On the one hand, I am glad that I was exposed to the popular culture of my time because for the most part it strived to maintain a standard of virtue. On the other hand, how many bizarre fragments of that experience are still deep in the recessed of my psyche?

1 Like

Hi beatificvision, these are great movies! Actually IL has a list of movies whose themes reflect the Integral Stages.

That’s a great list and so we’ll presented I love Conan the Barbarian for red. I also noticed there were science fiction movies at the higher stage levels. I think this is a great way to introduce the stages. Thank you for responding.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re welcome! Still have a few to go for me.

1 Like

Namal,

I have no idea what stage I stabilize around. I can say that I have moved past amber. I had to take some very hard hits over the past several years and I believe I regressed back to my comfort level, including the Roman Catholic church. I have to say I did stabilize myself there for three years because it was so familiar and welcoming. I became a welcomed part of the community and I was treated warmly. BUT, after three years of being in a men’s group and basically saying God is with you all the time, why do you keep talking about the Sacraments like they have some kind of magical ability to make you whole, I had to leave. It has been some time, but some of the guys still want me to come back. Wonderful people for the most part but not on the same wave length.

I don’t fell like I am Orange which is an adaptable way of being to be successful in the US. Perhaps the US was the first mindfully planned orange government in history. I also don’t feel green because I gotten to a point when I say something that a highly educated person say two generations or even a social activist my age feels like I am engaging in is some kind of old man talk, I simply laugh. I have no need to explain myself. So who knows. The structures are a great way though of having a blueprint to know roughly where a person is I am talking to and responding in kind.

I have found using the Socratic method not to bring people to the One, but by asking questions about first principals, people can learn how much they don’t know rather than how much they know. For me and a majority of other people this kind of knowing seems to more important then crystalized knowledge.

1 Like

Hi, although it can definitely feel uncomfortable, it’s ok to feel confused, growth isn’t perfectly linear as I’ve realized in my own experience. Teal is such a landmark stage it can take a while until you’re subconsciously there not just consciously so just enjoy the ride! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks, I needed that because something is going on that is a growth spurt but it is disconcerting.

1 Like