Stages of development

Jeff Salzman talks about the importance as an integral thinker of being able to distinguish the healthy and unhealthy side of each stage. As an integral thinker we need to be able to integrate the healthy parts of each stage.

I would like help in putting together a list of the healthy aspects of each stage as I feel this will be valuable to better integrate the stages.

I will make a start it would be nice if people would help me add to it.

Red - order, law

Blue - family values, respect, love your neighbour, dedication, discipline, honesty

Orange - achievement, critical thinking, productivity, pragmatism, logic,

Green - Equality, fairness, peace, nature, relativism, multiple perspectives

1 Like

Order and law are blue traits.
Healthy red seek power for the betterment of his tribe. Generosity, abundance, anti-fragility, protectiveness, standing up against corruption.

Blue is about order, standing up for moral principles and acting out your role in the world.

The heart of green is about seeking balance. Balance between work and relaxation, humanity and nature, the rich and the poor.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. Let me edit it then based on this.

Red - Generosity, abundance, anti-fragility, protectiveness, standing up against corruption.

Blue - family values, respect, love your neighbour, dedication, discipline, honesty, order, law, standing up for moral principles, people are connected with spirit, here to be faithful not successful, live good lives in the service of family and god, this world is for service it’s not their home

Orange - achievement, critical thinking, productivity, pragmatism, logic,

Green - Equality, fairness, peace, nature, relativism, multiple perspectives, balance between work and relaxation, humanity and nature, the rich and the poor.

I guess I have trouble recognizing that view of Red. In Red there is no morality, there is no ability to take another person’s perspective. I cannot imagine what it like for you to hurt. Might makes right. Think of a Somalian warlord. KW used to say, Fuck it or kill it. If there is a positive side to it, it’s the capacity to fight. People say Trump is Red; he’s a fighter. individual. Egocentric.
Amber (Blue)- implicit in your list is valuing hierarchy and being devoted to something outside yourself: God, country, corp. Values tradition and stability. Communal. Second person perspective. Ethnocentric.
Orange: individualism, rights, “Age of Reason,” progress, Third person perspective (objectivity). Worldcentric
Green pluralistic, inclusive, sensitive, “constructivist, contextual, aperspectival,” communal, Forth person perspective, Worldcentric
Remember these social levels are reflections of the individual level of development of the individuals in the society. Societies don’t actually develop. Only individuals. But individuals are monads. When you get up to walk across the room, 100% of you gets up and goes. Societies are aggregates, and not only are different individuals at different levels, but some individual have more influence. So If leaders are at a higher level than most of the others, they can pull the level of the society, its “center of gravity,” up.

Thanks I will update it from everything I have gathered so far:

Red - Generosity, abundance, anti-fragility, protectiveness, standing up against corruption, capacity to fight

Blue - family values, respect, love your neighbour, dedication, discipline, honesty, order, law, standing up for moral principles, people are connected with spirit, here to be faithful not successful, live good lives in the service of family and god, this world is for service it’s not their home, we are created by a beautiful, loving force, devoted to something outside yourself (god, country)

Orange - achievement, critical thinking, productivity, pragmatism, logic, we can become rational and understand the world on its own terms which is observable we can become the masters of our own life, individualism, rights, “Age of Reason,” progress, Third person perspective (objectivity). Worldcentric

Green - Equality, fairness, peace, nature, relativism, multiple perspectives, balance between work and relaxation, humanity and nature, the rich and the poor, world centric multi cultures appreciate the precious individuality of every person and culture, pluralistic, inclusive, sensitive, “constructivist, contextual, a perspectival,” communal, Forth person perspective, Worldcentric,

I guess I don’t get where the generosity is in Red. Red, in my understanding and interpretation of accepted authorities writing about this stage, is an ego-centric stage, power-driven, impulsive, looking for immediate gratification and conquest, “might makes right,” determined, focused on his/'her own interests, I win - you lose. In the view of the Red stage, others are seen only as a means of acquiring and securing power, not as equally valued human beings deserving of love and generosity. It is a stage where an individual disowns the norms of the family and tribe and strives to become powerful by his or her individual self, dependent only on gaining and using power. “I am the rule,” not anything outside of Me, not myths, not family, not tribal norms, nothing but me, as long as I am the most powerful force in my world. It is a world view of a warrior where fighting is the norm, not a place of peace that calls forth a spirit of charity and generosity toward fellow human beings.

Here is a graphic Jeff Salzman and I put together from a coaching perspective. It is in this website and Lee Mason and I share - scroll all the way to the bottom https://www.practicalintegral.com/about.

2 Likes