What is the most integral, fictional work you’ve seen?

I really like the film The Green Beautiful.

The link to watch it for free (I don’t believe that is a problem since it is Public Domain) is at the bottom of this list of resources I’ve compiled:

https://linktr.ee/salveofserpents

Happy to hear of films, books, & art that you find to be Integral-AF!

Haha.

:two_hearts::sparkles::snake:,
Caleb

1 Like

Thank you! wonderful to view La belle Verte!

1 Like

I’m going to go with The Fountain, Cloud Atlas, and the Matrix trilogy. Maybe also Arrival :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This might surprise you, but I remember a series of pulpy type fiction when I was a kid - “Bio of a Space Tyrant” by Piers Anthony.
In the first book “Refugee”, the main character was a teenage Hispanic space refugee and his refugee ship was boarded by pirates - who killed the men and did piratey things to the women, including his mother.
So the main character named “Hope Hubris” starts out in a Red world - violent, brutal, exploitative and uncaring.
The next books in the series describe the Rise and Fall of Hope Hubris - Mercenary, Politician, Executive, Statesman. The final book is from the point of view of his sister, “Spirit Hubris”. Through this we see the Space Tyrant through a different lens.

Piers Anthony wrote to an audience of predominantly Teenage Males, so his writing style appeals to that age group. What I find interesting looking back and why I think this work is integral is because it delivers very complex and even integral ideas in a narrative that is easy to digest. What would it be like to rise from refugee to the most powerful human in the galaxy - and then deeper how would his feminine side (sister) observe all this?
I think it’s also worth noting that he didn’t shy away from the plight of real life refugees - he threw it in the reader’s face full-force in book one in all it’s shocking brutality, nor did he pull punches as the main character rose in power.

1 Like

The movie Crash provides multiple views that all intertwine into a complete narrative that everyone is connected to a bigger way. It’s an awesome emotional story.

2 Likes

I recently watched the film “Karmalink,” which I would add to the list. IMDb’s description:

“In this Buddhist sci-fi mystery set in near-future Phnom Penh, a young Cambodian detective untangles a link between her friend’s past life dreams of a lost gold artifact and a neuroscientist’s determination to attain digital enlightenment.”

1 Like

Annihilation could generate an interesting integral conversation. TV shows I would throw in Beforeigners

1 Like

Such a fan of these films!

This is really interesting. I am trying to write a book for young adults—-I shall visit the library!

It has been awhile since I saw this! Will keep my eyes open for it.

Also wanted to nominate Groundhog Day with Bill Murray as a film with themes very resonant with integral.

2 Likes

I love this thread!!!
I am taking notes to my mental wishlist…
thank you all!!!

1 Like

Everything Everywhere All At Once

3 Likes