Integrating Polarities — Questions for Beena

I am really enjoying this course and am nearing its end as I watch for the second time the advanced look at switching from just an “OR” perspective to including “AND.” It makes me really appreciate the ability to go back and revisit my courses because this particular unit of Integrating Polarities is taking me some time to digest the implications.

It also makes me want to be more on the lookout for the Either/Or perspective so that I can help transform the conversation to Both/And when there is a Polarity to examine rather than a Problem to solve. It’s not a new concept for me but to look more closely at the ramifications in these specific contexts is still an eye opener and shifts my focus from not just my own usage of the terms but how they are more broadly used. Thanks so much to Beena Sharma, Barry Johnson, Corey DeVos, and the others who contributed to this course.

Hey @David_MacLeod,

Beena’s schedule has been pretty full lately, so we have been pre-recording these episodes without a live audience so we can be more flexible with time/day changes as per Beena’s busy life. Which is why we do not currently have any live webinars listed on the calendar. We will, however, be doing a series of live Q&A sessions with her very soon, just as soon as her schedule begins to settle a bit, and we will definitely let all of you know when we do.

Also, just a heads up that Beena is aware of the missing worksheet in Lesson 21, and will be getting that to me as soon as she is able. I’ll leave a note in this thread once it is available :slight_smile:

Hi, Beena and Corey,
I would like to show several segments fro the beginning of this course to a group of friends, about 10 people. No money would be involved at this end. Please tell me under what conditions I could do this and how to go about getting any needed permission.
Marilyn Bernhardt

Beena and Corey,

I am loving this course. Making my way through it bit by bit, chewing on each piece.

My polarity has to do with a co-dependent stance - valuing being open, harmonizing and connected to other/environment with the other pole being about feeding myself, honoring my “secret” self/genius, beat of my own drum. Does this sound like I’m on the right track?

Thanks for the reply.
Kelly

1 Like

Hi Kelly, I definitely think you are on the right track, yes! Beena is away on her honeymoon right now, but when she gets back I am sure she will have a more meaningful response for you. But I am so glad that you are loving the course, and seem to be getting so much value out of it. This is really powerful stuff, isn’t it?

I don’t understand “vicious cycles.” You say I will get the downsides of both polarities if I don’t integrate polarities. It looks to me like I can only get the down side of the side I am allied with. Maybe that confusion is also stopping me from seeing the cyclic, dynamic nature of the vicious cycle.
Thanks,
Steve

I think I understand the vicious cycle. It’s when two people who each privilege a different pole interact without integrating the polarities. Then, in your example, you get alternating rigidity and chaos.

Hi, Beena and Corey,
I would like to show several segments from the beginning of this course to a group of friends, about 10 people. No money would be involved at this end. Please tell me under what conditions I could do this and how to go about getting any needed permission.
Marilyn Bernhardt

Hi Marilyn,

So long as you are only showing segments from the beginning of the course, and not giving the full course away to anyone for free, I think this would be just fine. Maybe you could encourage people to enroll themselves, since we are making it available at such an affordable cost. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi

Thanks for the course, it was helpful and useful.

I have an additional question on theory and practice. I saw the word “vertical” appear related to polarities here and there. I have been studying a few systems, integrally oriented ones, that use polarities, and that was fruitful so far, but there is an aspect I am searching for that I dont find: going from polarities to dialectics. There must be a way to map out the inter-stage dynamics via polarity/dialectical thinking, not just the intra-stage structure, and I hoped to find some information on this in this course, but it did not appear, besides the course being generally helpful for development. How is this kind of Pola-Management working out for development, and is there is there a more specifically developmentally oriented version of this?

Thank You

Forgive me if I have missed the obvious, but is there a location where we access the worksheets…?

Writing this from my mobile phone, so I’m wondering if this is something that requires a laptop or such.

With thanks,

Tom

Hey everyone, Beena and I wanted to invite you all to a free webinar on Tuesday, November 26th at 6 PM MT (5 PM PT, 8 PM ET). Beena will be offering a special presentation about polarities in personal and professional relationships, and then we will be opening the discussion up for you to ask any questions that you might have for her.

You can join us on Integral Live. If you want to join the discussion and offer your own comments and questions, then join us on the Zoom app when the webinar begins: https://zoom.us/j/392949640

Hope to see you there!

Hey @Tom_VanGaalen, all the worksheets should be included in the relevant lesson modules within the course. They should also appear on mobile, most likely below the main text for those sections.

Hi everyone, just a reminder that we are doing a live episode of Polarity Wisdom tonight at 6 PM MT (5 PM PT, 8 PM ET). I hope you can make it!

You can watch for free on Integral Live. Or, if you want to join the discussion and offer your own comments and questions, join us on the Zoom app when the webinar begins: https://zoom.us/j/392949640

Hi Corey, is there a recording available of the Nov. call with Beena?

Sebastian,
Did you see the recording of the discussion between Corey, Beena, and Susanne Cook-Greuter, discussing polarities within a developmental context? Very useful. Part of the Polarity Wisdom series of videos.
"Beena Sharma and Corey deVos explore the important relationship between polarities and adult development — and how polarity thinking not only helps accelerate our development toward integral stages of maturity, but also helps us to be more of ourselves, wherever we happen to be in our developmental trajectory.

Beena and Corey are also joined by Susanne Cook Greuter, who offers her own thoughts around the fascinating intersection between polarity thinking and her own models of ego development."

Hi Corey,
In Module 2, “Time to Practice,” Beena mentions that there is a list of common organizational polarities on the website that we can download. I didn’t see a link to this on that page, or anywhere else. Is this list available, and can you point to it?

Feb. 16 edit - any update on the “Common Organizational Polarities” list that should go with Lesson 21?

Thanks.

Beena, I have finished the course (in part by releasing a need for a timeline). :slight_smile: I have truly enjoyed the content! The clarity with which the material was presented by you and the amazing examples/stories by Barry Johnson, and your students, has given me an energy of hope I had not anticipated. I’m looking forward to sharing this course with others and applying what I’ve learned to my own polarities, wherever and whenever I find them. Thank you for creating an amazing map. And I’m sure I’ll be going through the course many more times.

Hello! In the video “Time to practice”, Sheena mentions a file in which to find examples of polarities that should be available in the website, but in the page of the lesson there is no link to said file. Where can I get it, please? Thank you so much,
Lorenzo

2 Likes